Skip to main content

How to shop ‘Environmentally-Friendly’ or ‘Eco-Conscious’

What is Eco-Consciousness?

Being Eco-Conscious describes having a general ‘concern’ ( and awareness about the dangers to our environment and the physical Earth as a whole. In this way a person can be ‘mindful of the effect that [they or others] have on the environment’ ( Things that people can become environmentally conscious of can range from buying reusable items to changing their food habits to become vegan or vegetarian. The main thing about being conscious of the environment is that you’re doing it in the first place! 

Why is Eco-Consciousness important?

As we are all well aware, we are currently in a major climate crisis - a direct result of damaging, unsustainable human behaviour on the Earth. We have to remember that the Earth existed before us and will continue to exist after our lifetime. Therefore, it will benefit the environment if we think about what we are doing in our own lifetime that will not contribute to this environmental damage. “Green Purchasing” is the act of being eco-conscious whilst shopping and has been found to improve the ‘operational and environmental performances’ of many firms selling “green” products (Yang et al., 2021). Therefore, by buying environmentally friendly products there will be a direct positive impact on the treatment of the environment.

How can we be Eco-Conscious?

Being ‘environmentally friendly’ can be a multi-faceted concept. There are so many different ways that you personally can do things to help the environment, but as we are an online-shopping charity it would be great to go over the ways in which retailers can be eco-conscious! “Green” choices can be made by retailers ranging from how the operational team run, how products are sourced, how products are packaged, to what happens after the end of the products’ life (Are they biodegradable? Recyclable? Compostable? To last a lifetime?). 

Which retailers are eco-conscious on Shop&Give?

Green People create body products from organic materials, increasing the availability of products that are made from non-synthetic ingredients.

  • Their products are not tested on animals.
  • Their products are verified to be grown organically, allowing them to cultivate wider biodiversity in such areas when compared to chemical farming.
  • Not shown: they give back to charities such as the Marine Conservation Society as well as other social charities, allowing them to increase their positive impact on the environment.

Fussy Deodorant creates deodorant cases that are reusable and refillable. 

  • Their packaging is fully recyclable.
  • Product is made from waste sugarcane - making it decomposable.
  • Pending B-Corp organisation, meaning that they positively contribute to the environment.
  • The deodorant itself is Carbon Neutral.

Ethical Superstore provides a large shopping portal of socially and environmentally friendly products ranging from groceries to household to skincare. They tag their products on their environmental benefit. Within their ‘Eco Friendly’ section alone there are over 6,000 products that fall into 14 different environmental categories!

  • They use a Vektra eco-friendly kettle in their team office.
  • They donate damaged produce to the People’s Kitchen and other social initiatives.
  • Their packaging is 100% recyclable from paper to cardboard.
  • Offer cycle to work schemes and hybrid working to reduce carbon emissions.
  • Are committed to be 0% Landfill.
  • Use energy efficient LED lighting in their offices.

Smol is an eco-friendly and ethical cleaning product company that aims to avoid unnecessary plastics and waste in their packaging.

  • Their packaging is 100% recyclable and their pods are packaged small enough to fit through your letterbox.
  • They use lower levels of damaging chemicals per clothes wash.
  • Only 30% of their carbon emissions come from them directly (the other 70% is from the washing machines of consumers).
  • Have increased water conservation by 563,609 litres to date.
  • Have saved 790 tonnes of plastic to date (that could have ended up damaging sea life).

About the author

Alexandra Morris

Alexandra recently joined TheGivingMachine to help with growing the GivingLottery and improving the way people use both of our fundraising platforms.  

Join us on social media

We value your privacy

We use technology such as cookies on our site to personalise content, provide social media features, and analyse our traffic. 

Learn more about how we use cookies to enhance your browsing experience.